What is Izzie eating?????
When I saw this photo on Shannon’s blog (Ally’s friend and now mine, too) I loved it and asked Luke and Ally what she was eating. I have never seen a messy face quite so lovely in a clown smile kind of way. It reminded me of how truly wonderful Nigella’s Peanut Butter Squares are and I thought I would share the recipe that goes along with the photo. I never make these unless I have someone to share them with because they fall in the category of talking food!
Ingredients for the Base
50 grams or a scant 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
200 grams or 1 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
50 grams or a scant 1/4 cup unsalted butter
200 grams or 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Ingredients for the topping
200 grams or 7 ounces milk chocolate
100 grams or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Stir all the ingredients for the base together until smooth.
2. I use the paddle attachments to my mixer, but a bowl and a wooden spoon will work.
3. You will find, either way, that some of the dark brown sugar stays in very small, lumps, but don’t worry about that.
4. Press this mixture into a 9-inch square brownie pan and make the surface as even as possible.
5. To make the topping, melt the chocolates and butter together (the microwave works great for this just for a minute at a time until it is melted) stir well to combine and spread evenly over the base.
6. Put the pan in the refrigerator to set. When the chocolate has hardened, cut into small squares because it is very rich.