I thought a search for the perfect Texas sheet cake would be easy. Not so! There are a million recipes out there. I combined a few and this is what I made yesterday. I think it’s still a work in progress. I have noted some possible revisions.
2 cups (8.8 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter
1 cup water
1/4 cup (1 ounce) * natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray or butter a half-sheet pan (13×18 inches) and line the bottom with parchment.
- Combine the dry ingredients: Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Make the batter: In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the butter, water, and cocoa powder. Whisk until melted and smooth, and then bring to a simmer. Once simmering, remove from the heat. Using a whisk or electric mixer, beat the hot cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients until combined. Beat in the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla, followed by the baking soda, until combined.
- Bake the cake: Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack to cool briefly, about 5 to 10 minutes, while you make the frosting.
Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup buttermilk (or mix 3/4 cup milk with 2 tsp vinegar)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla
32 oz bag of powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
5-6 cups marshmallows or 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
• In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, buttermilk, and cocoa powder.
• Cook, stirring frequently, just until it comes to a boil. Then remove the pan from the heat.
• Pour the mixture into a clean bowl, add the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer till smooth.
• Pour in the marshmallows and mix in with a spatula. If you are using the pecans you can mix them into the frosting or sprinkle on after pouring the frosting on the cake. So many people have nut allergies so the marshmallow option I what I use the most.
- Then pour the warm frosting over the cake after it has cooled 5 minutes. It’s best to frost while the cake is warm, so the marshmallows puff up a little. Do your best to spread the frosting evenly around.