I did a Google search for the best biscuits and I found this recipe on at momontimeout.com I am not convinced that they are the best, yet. They are really good. Mine did not bake up as high as her photos on the website. I will use this recipe again and see what happens. They taste really good, I’d just like them to raise a little more when they bake. Here is her recipe with my notes-
3 cups flour
3 T sugar
1/2 t salt
4 t baking powder
1/2 t cream of tartar
3/4 cup cold butter
1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Mom on Timeout says that the secret to excellent biscuits is cold butter. I actually took mine out of the freezer and grated it on the big holes of my cheese grater. This was an excellent idea minus the incredibly frozen fingers i ended up with.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Since my butter was grated i just mixed it into the dry ingredients with a large spoon and broke up larger chunks quickly with my fingers. You don’t want to mix so much that your butter gets too soft.
- I took the milk and egg straight from the refrigerator. Add to the dry ingredient and butter mixture and mix just until everything is well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it just a few times then shape into a round.
- I used a floured rolling pin to roll it out to a 1 inch thickness. Then cut with a biscuit cutter and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the top.
- Brush the tops with melted butter. The recipe says it makes 12, I got 9.